Saturday, May 15, 2010

What grade do I give the Arizona State Legislature on the 2010 session?

When the editors of the Southeast Republic asked me to answer how do I grade Arizona's Legislature after the end of the 2010 session, this is what I answered. (They only gave me 80 words but more, many more would be necessary to express my outrage).

Failure. Republican Legislators passed a disastrous bill SB1070 (with rushed modifications at the last minute that makes it worse). Massive cuts to education and social services for the disabled and vulnerable.

Instead of concentrating in solving Arizona’s economic woes they wasted their time on legislation that divides us instead of appreciating the contributions of all to the economy. Expect boycotts, continue fall on revenues from sales tax and a cascade of foreclosures.

(printed on the Saturday, May the 8th edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment