Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dreamer in Detention


Just as I was getting ready for a dinner party on Saturday, I got a phone call from a young woman who was looking for help for a friend. Somebody had giving her my number and was seeking support for Nallely, who had been stopped and detained a day earlier for a minor traffic violation and had an unpaid ticket in her record.
I promised to get back the next day. I spent Sunday and Monday reconstructing the life of Nallely Farman, sorting through the confusion of her legal name and the name she goes for. It took me several phone calls to have all the facts straight.
There were aspects of Nalleli's life not totally clear to her mother so I also tracked down her friends, asking for more details.
Nallely is a great person. She has a list of community involvement activities that is really remarkable.
She has been a good student all along. She is a former ASU student and a Community College Student.
The thought of a nice,cute girl jailed, subjected to invasive "body searches" if she ends up in Eloy or Florence is really upsetting to me.
On Sunday I got the support from Mohammad Abdollahi from Dreamactivist.org and now the story of Nallely is going national.
Please click here to sign the petition to save Nallely from detention, and possible deportation.

No comments:

Post a Comment